My German Shepherd Forum

Go Back   My German Shepherd Forum > The Dog House > Dog Food Forum
Home Register FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dog Food Forum Come here to talk about what type of dog foods different people recommend for their dogs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-12-11, 09:43 PM

When to change from puppy to adult (dry food)?

Hi all, this is probably been asked before but can't find an answer..so at what age did you change from puppy to adult (dry food)?and what is the difference between adult and puppy food?
Old 16-12-11, 12:07 AM

The main difference is the protein content! I feed raw so no need to change however back in the day when I fed commercial diets I changed mine over when they started to go off the puppy food at around 5 mnths. We see lots of puppies over 6 myhs at class who are mad as hatters because they are on puppy food and once they have changed to a lower protien diet (less than 18%) they tend to calm down as the puppy food just has way too much protien and unless they are working dogs that get worked they just don't need it. They other big concern is the colourings, additives and preservatives in the food as that can lead to hyper activeness and skin and ear irritations.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16-12-11, 08:51 AM

I agree with the above. The manufacturers will often say to continue on puppy food until 12-18 months but they do not have to live with the hyperactive behaviour that is often the result of high protein puppy food. I changed Kira at about 9 months and there was an immediate change in her behaviour.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16-12-11, 11:40 AM

I feed Maya raw for lunch and Arden grange puppy/junior for dinner,I used to give her Orijen but I changed because her stools were way to soft and now she is ok..Orijen is 80% protein and is suppose to be the best kibble on the market,although Arden grange has a lower protein content I did not see any change in behavior..she is 14 months now so I'm going to get the adult version and it is cheaper as well...thanks for the replies..