Go Back   My German Shepherd Forum > The Dog House > Dog Food Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-12-08, 01:47 PM
Indy

Not Eating

Hi All

I have a 10 month old GSD bitch and she's started to have problems eating. She has always had a sensitive stomach so she is not allowed human food at all and we really have to watch on walks because she eats anything she finds.

Recently she just stopped eating her food. I took her to the vets and i was given anti-biotics which solved the eating problem for about a week. Now she has given up eating again so i have out her on chicken and rice which she will eat. I dont want her getting used to this food in case it makes her refuse dog food in the long term. Her dog food is Beta puppy and i mix a bit of chappie in to make it a bit tastier.

Has anyone got any ideas as to why dogs stop eating their own food and is there anything i can do to get her back to a proper eating routine? This is especially worrying for me because she is quite skinny and she cant really afford to be missing meals.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23-12-08, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Hello

Sorry to hear your pups not eating, have you taken her back to the vets for a check up to make sure whatever the antibiotics were for has not come back?

Diesel went through a stage of not eating or only small amounts, we just left his food down for 15mins then took it up regardless of whether he'd eaten. He was a slim boy as a pup so I can totally relate to your worry about them not eating and weight loss. He now eats with gusto and eats every last scrap in his bowl.

In order to make his food more appetising we added chicken but we were making a rod for our own back to be honest because he then expected it with every meal and refused to eat without it so it took a battle of wills to get him out of this habit.

Lynn
x
Old 23-12-08, 02:58 PM

My collie boy goes through stages of not eating, it is a battle of wills as he wont touch abit of food even though I can hear his tum grumbling!! I think he does it coz he's bored of eating the same thing all the time. I try and add in something different a couple of times a week so he gets abit of variety. I tend to use raw salmon trimmings or ox heart, chicken or even tinned fish (in tomato sauce coz its meant to stimulate the appetite!) It could be worth chatting with your vet and finding out what things you can add in on a regular basis to make food more exciting for you baby girl.

Jack 9yr collie
Tess 18 month GSD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23-12-08, 03:38 PM

We have has simular problems with Sophie, she went through stages of not eating or eating ver little. She also has a senstive tum.

I think it would be worth speaking with the vets again, there maybe some underlying problem.
Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace - Milan Kundera