My German Shepherd Forum

Go Back   My German Shepherd Forum > The Dog House > Dog Health Forum
Home Register FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dog Health Forum Caring for your dog's health and well-being isn't as always that easy. Provide your existing dog health issues and the current dog health symptoms here for possible solutions. If your pet is unwell we strongly advise you to seek professional advice from a vet. Please do not rely on or wait for advice from mygermanshepherd users.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-03-11, 07:41 PM

Panting!

How much panting is normal?
I know every dog is different but Harvey pants an awful lot even when he is sitting by my feet, he has clean water down and his nose is wet and cold and he does this even if he has been a long while after a good walk
Should I be concerned?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25-03-11, 08:05 PM
LUTGARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz and Harvey View Post
How much panting is normal?
I know every dog is different but Harvey pants an awful lot even when he is sitting by my feet, he has clean water down and his nose is wet and cold and he does this even if he has been a long while after a good walk
Should I be concerned?
From what ive heard panting when is obviously not hot is a sign of stress
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25-03-11, 08:11 PM
Golden Oldie

Does he pant in the house or outside as well? He could just be one of those dogs who get very hot in the house.

"The best dog is the one you take home with you"
PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers
Old 25-03-11, 08:11 PM
Golden Oldie

it could be a circulation problem, ie his heart is not functioning properly therefore with normal breathing enough oxygen would not get around the body hence the panting
Old 25-03-11, 08:46 PM
Golden Oldie

Logan pants loads mainly in the house, i think they just get hot, Blade pants quite a bit too! Matrix very rarely pants. Think it depends on the dog and their coat, also fitness levels.

Surely anything like a heart problem would have been picked up on his booster/vaccination check ups?!

Sharon
---x--- ... Slave to all of the above boys!
Old 25-03-11, 08:48 PM

He doesnt show any signs of stress or even being ill as he is full of energy and the last time at the vets she said he was a healthy dog

I think he must be a dog that pants alot!
Old 25-03-11, 08:53 PM
Anni

Remus pants a lot but mainly in the warmer months. Sometime when he's settled and hours after exercise he can just start panting for no reason.. think his temperature gauge is set too high.

Zee rarely pants unless she comes back from a run with me.
Old 25-03-11, 08:59 PM
Golden Oldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix/Logan View Post
Surely anything like a heart problem would have been picked up on his booster/vaccination check ups?!
Not all heart problems can be heard with a stethoscope. A low grade murmur for instance can be easily missed. However, a low grade murmur wouldn't really produce any symptoms.

"The best dog is the one you take home with you"
PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers
Old 25-03-11, 09:03 PM

I would say that if he is apparently healthy in every other way, don't worry.
My dog pants a lot, he has a full and heavy coat and feels the heat even when it is cold. Dogs who are excitable in nature can also pant a lot.

Old 25-03-11, 09:16 PM

Jess pants alot to, and i mean about 100 pants a minute, espesh in the house....Big coats in warm houses.....Expected

Max Von Stephantz (breed founder) wrote: ‘No good dog is a bad color’

Liam & Jess