My German Shepherd Forum

Go Back   My German Shepherd Forum > The Dog House > Dog Health Forum
Home Register FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dog Health Forum Caring for your dog's health and well-being isn't as always that easy. Provide your existing dog health issues and the current dog health symptoms here for possible solutions. If your pet is unwell we strongly advise you to seek professional advice from a vet. Please do not rely on or wait for advice from mygermanshepherd users.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-08-11, 08:56 AM

Not Drinking

Hi,
Frankie doesnt seem to be drinking much for the last couple of days, we normally refill her bowl several times a day and she would drink any water in sight including out of my plant pots. But for the last couple of days everytime ive changed her water its still been full, ive been having to play with the water for her to have a little sip, shes eating fine and everything else with her seems okay, shes upto date with her worming shes due for her next dose at the end of the month (not sure if that could have anything to do with it like)

everything else seems fine she still has a good appetite, she had a little diarhea this morning nothing too bad but quite loose,

Any ideas? shes just under six months old.

Could i also just ask our trainer advised us to take her off puppy food at six months old, i know the packets of food advise 18 months but i was going to keep her on it until a year old, last time she was weighed was the end of last month and she was 22kg, so abit of advice of when to bring her off puppy food and what to put her on next

Thankyou
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24-08-11, 08:58 AM

Stick with the puppy food until the recommended age, puppy food has more of the vits and mins needed when a puppy is growing, especially a large breed.
Has it been cooler over the past few days, maybe Frankie just hasn't been as hot, has Frankie been excercised the same amount. Does she seem herself?
Lucy x
Old 24-08-11, 09:05 AM

It has actually cooled down abit i didnt even think about that, yes she has been excercised just the same. Infact she had her first swim the other day chase a duck into a lake proper pooed herself and scrambled out of the water maybe its just put her off water lol,

She is fine in herself shes same bouncy crazy dog she always is

would it be anything to worry about then or should i just keep my eye on her how much water should they be consuming in a day?

I thought that about the food but the trainer said it didnt matter and advised different im glad i asked about that as i wasnt keen on her advice

Thankyou
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24-08-11, 09:28 AM

She is probably not thirsty because she drank from the lake!!
As long as wee's, poo's and behaviour are all normal I'd not worry too much! My boy seems to drown himself when it is hot!
Yeah I definitely wouldn't change to adult yet. With a smaller dog it is not such an issue but GSDs are obviously large breed, they take longer to grow and the food they eat now could add to the health of their hips later! - Not a chance I'd take!
xx