My German Shepherd Forum

Go Back   My German Shepherd Forum > The Dog House > Dog Health Forum
Home Register FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dog Health Forum Caring for your dog's health and well-being isn't as always that easy. Provide your existing dog health issues and the current dog health symptoms here for possible solutions. If your pet is unwell we strongly advise you to seek professional advice from a vet. Please do not rely on or wait for advice from mygermanshepherd users.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-01-12, 12:02 PM
Puppy

bald patches on elbows

hi all, indy who has just turned 1 has developed bald patches on his elbows, im getting worried about this, he is crate trained and has been since he was a pup, the only thing is is that he carnt have a bed as he just destroys it literally (but thats another issue) so i took the bed away from him and now he just has a hard floor to sleep on at night which im persuming has started the baldness on his elbows, is this ok, do they develop health problems in the future with his joints, a friend of mine suggested muzzling him just at night when we put him to bed so he can get to lay on something soft without destroying it what are your thoughts on this please would really appreciate any advice, i am aware that this bald patches are more frequent in larger breeds, just want to do right by him
Old 19-01-12, 12:12 PM

Hi - and welcome to the forum.

It is almost definitely lying in his crate that has causedhis bald elbows. It is quite common, and they normally get a bit scaly. Have you tried giving him vetbed or just a blanket to lie on?

You could try putting vaseline on them, or laternatively sudacrem should help.

Sue
x
Old 19-01-12, 12:16 PM

Maybe put some straw in! I know it would be unorthodox in an indoor crate but it is indestructible and i can't think of any reason not to, I donít use crates so i have no first hand experience sorry.

Personally i would not put the dog in a muzzle for the night, he is likely to get very frustrated not been able to groom himself etc.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19-01-12, 12:17 PM
Golden Oldie

I would say everything and everyone needs a nice bed, could you not give him old covers and blanket, untill he gets out of it.
They dont normally chew at night, is he left in his crate at night?
Please dont muzzle your baby, If if were me going to sleep with a muzzle on, I'm sure it would drive me mad.
Have you tryed sudocrem or something like that on his sore elbows?
Hope he feels better soon.
Mazz

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19-01-12, 12:19 PM
Puppy

thankyou so much for the replies, i carnt put anykind of bedding in with him he would just literally eat it, believe me ive tried lol, straw wouldnt be an option as my youngest child is allergic to hay straw etc. I dont really want to muzzle him either, i just want to know that its okay for him to have bald patches so i can stop worrying
Old 19-01-12, 12:23 PM
Puppy

mazz, seriously he is a nightmare of a chewer, he eats everything, it cost my insurers £800 to remove socks that were twisted round his gut, he has a nightmare of a fetish for socks, we have tried blankets, sheets, old duvets, vet bed, paddings just putting the bedding in with him at night and he will just chew it, hes got a couple of chew bones but it doesnt help, i get really stressed myself that he doesnt have a bed to lay on or at least the option of laying on a bed if he wants to, i dont think he will grow out of it either, reckon i got the bad one out of the bunch lol lol lol
Old 19-01-12, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Dogs destroy things for a reason, how long is he left in the crate? Does he seem happy in the crate? Is he left alone for long periods?
Old 19-01-12, 12:47 PM
Golden Oldie

Sorry you are having problems with your boy.
Years ago I too had a chewer, she was also about 12months old when we found she had a baby tooth stuck behind her bid dog tooth, has he had his ears checked.?
Just throwing things at you as I know how you must feel.
Mazz

Old 19-01-12, 12:57 PM

Our late Dalmation was a nightmare for destroying beds, he would sleep on them for one night then destroy them in the morning, when he could finally be trusted not to eat the sofa we left him to sleep on the carpet in the living room, he did used to sneak up on the sofa once we were upstairs tho lol.
He calmed down alot when he was about 7-8, he did love a bed in his later years...esp his memory foam matress when he got arthritis. I dont think it did him much good lying on a hard floor to be honest.
How about a raised bed like this....
Amazon Amazon
When we used to take Jake camping he would settle down on our bedchairs for hours...and was very stubborn about getting off lol
Old 19-01-12, 12:59 PM
Golden Oldie

I've just invested in some carpet tiles for Isla's crate (going cheap at a closing down sale) and so far she hasnt destroyed them, in fact she shows very little interest in chewing them, as opposed to towels, blankets, beds, etc.