Go Back   My German Shepherd Forum > The Dog House > Dog Health Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-12, 09:30 PM
Teenager

Periana fistula

So my girl Dana who is now 9 years old has been diagnosed since awhile with fistula, she had one currently now has two, i tried alot...currently i am going for anything and everything that might help her live as comfortable as possible.. i am really here to find anyone else who has a dog suffering with this horrible disease. Dana is currently on prednison and small dosage of cylosporine 25 mg mostly because more her body cannot take. She also eats fish oil, vitamin c 1000 mg, vitamin B, and psyillium fibers to make her stool pass easier...

any help would be appreciated so what medication is your dogs on? any pain killers? should i give painkillers? any other herbs that might help?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-07-12, 09:33 PM
Teenager

just a quick add, she has horrible ear infections, and the vet suspects that the atopica is doing it. Or it is somehow connected to the anal fistula. now we are doing damage control for that amoxcilline 1000 mg a day (twice a day 500 mg) and we have ear antibiotics...which is a pain since she won't let be put it in poor girl her ears hurts so much
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-07-12, 10:15 PM
Golden Oldie

I would not give my girl prednisolone she was terribly ill with it.

My girl had a 2inch/5cm fistula and was in a awful state.

The cyclsporin/atopica nizoral/ketoconazole worked for her within a couple of weeks.

Incidentally it was from this site I found out about it, I was at the point of having her put to sleep she was so bad and she had 2 happy years after that.

Old 07-07-12, 10:57 PM
Teenager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami View Post
I would not give my girl prednisolone she was terribly ill with it.

My girl had a 2inch/5cm fistula and was in a awful state.

The cyclsporin/atopica nizoral/ketoconazole worked for her within a couple of weeks.

Incidentally it was from this site I found out about it, I was at the point of having her put to sleep she was so bad and she had 2 happy years after that.
Dana also has 5 cm fistula and a small maybe 1 cm or less on the other side of her butt. I'm also at the point of asking myself if its the right thing to do to keep her here if this disease won't respond to anything.

the prednisolone is also to keep her atopic skin disorder in check, which causes red skin infections she is one 5 mg now which was way higher before but she had so many bad side effects, so now only 5 mg, somehow i think the fistula has something to do with the skin condition or the other way around, and so does my vet. He asked me to think ''does she has fistula(s) because she's allergic, or does she have allergies because she has fistula''

How strange that my vet never brought those (meds) up, i am going to pick up dana's medication next week, so i can ask if those might work for her! i'm really happy to see if this might work

what did you do to keep your dog from licking there, dana seems to make the fistula worse by licking at it especially at night.
Old 07-07-12, 11:56 PM
Golden Oldie

There is not a lot known about the disease it is very difficult to treat. I tried 3 different vets and it was only the info on this forum that gave me the info to challenge a new vet.

Sami we just kept telling her to leave it but to be honest it was so bad she couldnt have made it any worse licking it.

Old 08-07-12, 02:53 PM
Teenager

poor sami, i bet it hurt too and that is why they like to lick there I am also already 3 vets further actually two vets told me dana had a intestine problem at not a fistula which caused that dana walked with it longer then she really should have, now that i do know nothing seem to respond to that awful looking lesion. well next week i'm getting dana her new meds (atopica) and i'm going to try and order nizoral. I'm going to keep posting dana's process here, perhaps it will work, fingers crossed!

As soon as dana her ear problems are better and she finished her antibiotics i'm putting her ''cone of shame'' (e-collar) back on to prevent her for doing more damage there
Old 03-08-12, 09:33 PM
Teenager

Just wanted to update this topic. Dana is going pretty well for a older dog. She just got back from the vet, her ears are now clear and i'm going to give carporal 50 mg twice a day painkillers.

Other then that two of her fistula healed (one on her back, near her butt, one in her anus region) with the combination prednoral/atopica most of the time it is not recommended giving to immunospressive but it worked for dana.

Now to get the big one hopefully gone, going in next week or so to discuss further treatment (nizoral ) and then monthly visits for my beautiful girl.
Old 06-08-12, 12:22 PM
Administrator

So good to read that you are seeing some positive differences, I hope she continues to get better.
Old 08-08-12, 01:53 PM
Teenager

thank you so much, I also hope she will be getting better soon! Dana's case is the worst the vet has ever seen, so it will be difficult to try and get the big fistula to heal, but i am staying positive

Dana has the most difficult time if she has to poop so I use special formula for dogs ispaghula to keep her stool loose and like elastic so it passes easier.
Old 08-08-12, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Keeping everything crossed for you and Dana...x