My German Shepherd Forum

Go Back   My German Shepherd Forum > The Dog House > Dog Health Forum
Home Register FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dog Health Forum Caring for your dog's health and well-being isn't as always that easy. Provide your existing dog health issues and the current dog health symptoms here for possible solutions. If your pet is unwell we strongly advise you to seek professional advice from a vet. Please do not rely on or wait for advice from mygermanshepherd users.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-09-13, 09:17 PM

Sprained leg!!

JC is now nearly 8months old. Is doing very well and loves running around like many!

BUT, he has sprained his leg! He is fine. limping around but will still walk and run fast in the garden!!

I don't know why I'm worrying because Memfyss done this many times and the last time he had damaged his leg he walked and ran on 3 legs while holding his front leg up!! I'm sure he healed in just over a week.

JC is in no pain with it, he does not pull away when feeling from toes to shoulder and is fine with me massaging it for him but am hoping he will soon be better!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21-09-13, 09:56 PM
Golden Oldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie685 View Post
JC is now nearly 8months old. Is doing very well and loves running around like many!

BUT, he has sprained his leg! He is fine. limping around but will still walk and run fast in the garden!!

I don't know why I'm worrying because Memfyss done this many times and the last time he had damaged his leg he walked and ran on 3 legs while holding his front leg up!! I'm sure he healed in just over a week.

JC is in no pain with it, he does not pull away when feeling from toes to shoulder and is fine with me massaging it for him but am hoping he will soon be better!

Hope he gets better soon, but with a sprain he needs to rest and not run at speed round the garden

And if he's limping then he clearly is in pain

He should be on lead walks only, even in the garden and some anti inflam like metacam

And if you massage not knowing what you are doing you can make it worse

Proudly owned by:

Zetstaff Blue Demon (Boris)
Crimsonstaffs Dream Girl (Tilly)
Tugga the Bugga (Tuggs)
Dennis The Menace (DenDen)
Dympner Great Chart (Buster) - RIP big boy xxx

A FOOL'S MIND IS AT THE MERCY OF HIS TONGUE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21-09-13, 10:13 PM
Golden Oldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetstaff View Post
Hope he gets better soon, but with a sprain he needs to rest and not run at speed round the garden

And if he's limping then he clearly is in pain

He should be on lead walks only, even in the garden and some anti inflam like metacam

And if you massage not knowing what you are doing you can make it worse

In fact thinking about it, I wouldn't give metacam as that can mask the pain and make them chuck themselves around even more

Proudly owned by:

Tugga the Bugga (Tuggs)

Old 21-09-13, 10:19 PM

Exactly, that's why I haven't given any meds as he will carry on as if nothing wrong! He should be fine.
Old 21-09-13, 10:29 PM
Golden Oldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie685 View Post
Exactly, that's why I haven't given any meds as he will carry on as if nothing wrong! He should be fine.

Yes he should be if you rein him in and don't let him charge about all over the place whilst he's injured

Especially not if he's just eaten

Proudly owned by:

Tugga the Bugga (Tuggs)

Old 21-09-13, 10:40 PM
Back to Normal

Ice regularly over the day and limited exercise
Old 22-09-13, 08:34 AM
Golden Oldie

Pups must rest when they have a poorly leg.

He is still growing and it could damage the growth plates, when he is running around.

I didn't let my puppy over do things when she was little, I'm sure she would have run and run but we played mind games with her to wear her out too.

Hope your baby is feeling better and enjoying a rest.

Mazz

Old 22-09-13, 08:48 AM

OK, hang on! He is resting as much as possible, but being young he gets bored and wants to play!

The only way I know he will rest it, is both at night and when I'm out. If no change in a few days he will see the vet xx
Old 22-09-13, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Oh bless him! How did he do it?

How is he this morning?

Theresa -x-

My Beautiful Bo! Sorry I didn't know when you were born. 07/03/2011 R.I.P. baby girl
Old 22-09-13, 09:56 AM

He was running about in the fields! Memfyss used to do it often but can't remember how long he took to recover.

He's fine all as normal, just limping lol