My German Shepherd Forum

Go Back   My German Shepherd Forum > The Dog House > Dog Health Forum
Home Register FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dog Health Forum Caring for your dog's health and well-being isn't as always that easy. Provide your existing dog health issues and the current dog health symptoms here for possible solutions. If your pet is unwell we strongly advise you to seek professional advice from a vet. Please do not rely on or wait for advice from mygermanshepherd users.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-10-13, 07:25 PM
Golden Oldie

Plus the beneficial enzymes found in green tripe are destroyed by cooking. It's truly repulsive raw but cooked? Bleurgh! It's been a lifesaver for my dog.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29-10-13, 10:23 AM

I'm having the opposite problem - Candy is fat!

Today she's starting on Burns Weight Control Chicken and Oats - at the moment I'm weaning her off her other food so she's having some of each. It's expensive but should work out cheaper in the long run because she won't need so much.

PitaPata Dog tickers

*** Gone but NEVER forgotten - Shady, Ted, Echo, Max and Caesar - RIP all of you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29-10-13, 10:32 AM
I'm a Rare Breed.

no need for special foods, just up excercise and feed less...

Jon, Laney, Jackson, Mowgli, Copper, and KC (the Cat)

If your dog is fat,
you aren't getting enough exercise
Old 29-10-13, 11:10 AM
Golden Oldie

I'm with Jon here. All these special foods for losing weight are just an expense that is not nessecary imo.

If you saw the amount Aide gets in her bowl 3 times a day you would think that it wouldnt be enough to feed 1 leg let alone her whole body. She is slowly losing weight which is the best way and her stamina is not affected either.
Old 29-10-13, 01:07 PM
Golden Oldie

Don't worry about him, he'll fill out when he gets older (like we all do!)

Old 29-10-13, 11:06 PM

Dexter (now 3) was a scrawny little thing until I started giving him a couple of raw eggs for his breakfast. The easily absorbed protein has started to bulk him out!
Old 29-10-13, 11:24 PM

One thing I've learned lately is if you're having trouble putting weight on your dog and they aren't a particularly voracious eater then there is a possibility that their B12 might be low. I don't know how much the blood test costs, and they have to be fasted for 12-15 hours before the test. It's also better to have the test done on a Monday or Tuesday. If the test is done on a Friday there is a possibility the blood sample will be left at the lab all weekend.

Apparently a lot of GSDs can have low B12 for no particular reason at all, they just do.

Try the tripe and the egg and maybe some sweet potato because that can help too, and if it doesn't work in a couple of months, get his B12 levels checked.

PitaPata Dog tickers

Sarah, Archie and Kobi
Old 30-10-13, 08:02 AM
Golden Oldie

My instructor told me to feed Isla potatoes to fatten her up. It worked but she lost it all again when I stopped giving them to her. Didn't want her weight to yoyo so just left it. She's filled out naturally now, she's just over 2. We used to get comments from snotty people on walks about how skinny she was.

Old 31-10-13, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
no need for special foods, just up excercise and feed less...
Been there, tried that, it worked for a while but she's suddenly exploded so I'm giving Burns a try just to see if it makes a difference.

If not, we'll do something else. Had her checked for thyroid etc. but all is OK on that score.

PitaPata Dog tickers

*** Gone but NEVER forgotten - Shady, Ted, Echo, Max and Caesar - RIP all of you.
Old 31-10-13, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackico View Post
One thing I've learned lately is if you're having trouble putting weight on your dog and they aren't a particularly voracious eater then there is a possibility that their B12 might be low. I don't know how much the blood test costs, and they have to be fasted for 12-15 hours before the test. It's also better to have the test done on a Monday or Tuesday. If the test is done on a Friday there is a possibility the blood sample will be left at the lab all weekend.

Apparently a lot of GSDs can have low B12 for no particular reason at all, they just do.

Try the tripe and the egg and maybe some sweet potato because that can help too, and if it doesn't work in a couple of months, get his B12 levels checked.
Funny enough Diesel had to have a course of B12 injections, it helped stablise his bad tum
x