My German Shepherd Forum

Go Back   My German Shepherd Forum > The Dog House > Dog Health Forum
Home Register FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dog Health Forum Caring for your dog's health and well-being isn't as always that easy. Provide your existing dog health issues and the current dog health symptoms here for possible solutions. If your pet is unwell we strongly advise you to seek professional advice from a vet. Please do not rely on or wait for advice from mygermanshepherd users.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-12-13, 11:06 PM

Scratching his stitches any ideas??

Frazer has a cone on, he cannot lick his stitches BUT he can scratch them with his back paws, I'm at my wits end with this as it's not healing very well , I've tried wrapping a soft blanket round his middle body and taped it up , he was able to wiggle it off as it just slips down, he is as much stressed as I am poor guy. Has anyone any ideas ? At the minute he has a t shirt on but it not gonna stop a big paw doin damage. Happy Xmas to all xxxx
Old 24-12-13, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Jacqui.,

I can sympathise with you. Breezer was a similar age when he had stitches to Frazer.

I have to say, I simply used the word "no" and he stopped. Other than that, I really cannot offer any constructive advice. Apart from maybe get some human children Sudocreme? It's harmless to dogs and will sooth the itchy feeling. Maybe Frazer's end stiches are a little long? Try looking at them, and snipping off the irritating bit of stitch? I did this with Breezer., those stitches are sharp!!!!!!

Theresa -x-

My Beautiful Bo! Sorry I didn't know when you were born. 07/03/2011 R.I.P. baby girl
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25-12-13, 07:31 AM
Golden Oldie

I think he has to be stopped or it could back to the vets!!! A stern no and
possibly a t shirt or something similar - paw through arms and the body of it covering up stitches. Good luck not easy
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25-12-13, 07:58 AM

Merry Xmas xxx , I'm gonna make him up a body wrap with an old bath robe at least that will not slip off lol, that's wat I'm worried about having to return back to the vets, it's a pity there isn't a Velcro body wrap that goes over the head and under the body (padded) and felcro up the back not a bad idea to become an entrepreneur have a great day xx
Old 25-12-13, 08:27 AM
Golden Oldie

Happy Christmas. If the stitches are irritating it means he's healing. Why not put some booties on him so his claws don't scratch?

My family - lots of pictures >here<
Old 25-12-13, 09:19 AM

I think if I add another thing on him he will take a heart attack wit stress ,, his nails are really worn down at the back, he must trail his paws some way, thanks for the idea x
Old 25-12-13, 09:38 AM

OMG it's amazing what u find when u google a problem, someone used a ,,,, wait for it,,,,,,a kids ONESIE brilliant ,,, so I ll be goin out to find a onesie in the next day or two to fit then put a hole where his tail will come out and he will look cool and comfortable lol so I can leave the e collar off him yooooooo
Old 25-12-13, 09:54 AM
Golden Oldie

That's a great idea - don't forget the pics!

"The best dog is the one you take home with you"
PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers
Old 26-12-13, 11:11 AM

Frazer

I eventually found something that will stop him scratching it's a medical pet shirt on amazon Lycra with a pouch under belly for padding well I've ordered it hopefully it will be here Saturday, my oh did not want a onsie on him as it's bad enough getting wat we have on and off him for toilet lol,, he is more settled in himself which I'm glad to say , it's been the worst surgery for aftercare that I've experienced ,sonny had a limb removed and that was easy but this surgery as the stitches right up the belly is a hard one lol but getting there thank god, I ll take photo wen I get this shirt , maybe he won't need the cone