My German Shepherd Forum

Go Back   My German Shepherd Forum > The Dog House > Dogs Behaviour/Life with our dogs Forum
Home Register FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dogs Behaviour/Life with our dogs Forum This the place to chat about your dog. Share stories about your dog or dogs, or just post anything dog related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-01-13, 01:49 PM

Exclamation Barking...

Ok Ralphie is driving me mad! He is barking at other dogs when on a walk, I took him on a walk today on his extending lead as we went around a lake and it was too busy and too tempting to dive in the lake for him to be off lead here.He barks when he sees another dog approaching and strains to get to it barking and jumping, my method of dealing with this is to call him back to me and make him sit whilst telling him to be quiet. He doesn't get to sniff or interact with the dog nor move off the spot until he's quiet then we continue,however it isn't working he still barks until the dog has passed and gone.

Have tried everything I can think of tbh! The one thing I would say is that he really doesn't seem scared more like its a game to intimidate the other dog? Today he was snapping and showing his teeth whilst barking at a 13 week old Golden Retriever puppy!! I was so upset and embarrassed!
He is missing out on chances to play because his behaviour is inappropriate and obnoxious! We do go to training classes and he is improving there but it is a different environment.

Have tried...
Turning him away/ standing blocking his view of the other dog.
Keep walking past briskly to heel ignoring the dog.
Letting him sniff the dogs (he barks LOTS and it gets heated)
Avoiding other dogs altogether
And we are currently moving to the side and sitting whilst they pass us, I keep his attention on me and say quiet,and then leave it if he does give it the intense stare.We do not move on until he is quiet but he still barks and attempts to get to the dog.
He is currently walked in a halti head collar when on lead as Its unpleasant holding him in these situations on his collar!

So if anyone can help out here I would be immensely great full!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28-01-13, 01:53 PM
Administrator

How old is he again?

Does he get to meet and play with many dogs? Is the barking only when he's on lead?
Old 28-01-13, 02:02 PM
Golden Oldie

Welcome to my world....lol
Maybe we should change our dog's names...obviously it's a genetic issue with the name Ralph!

The only thing I can suggest is what's working for me...and my Ralph hasn't barked for 3 days.

1. Set him up for success, so don't go anywhere where he will be overloaded by dogs.
2. Sit him down and when he sees a dog in the distance start to put high value treats (the highest) in his mouth.
3. As soon as he starts barking move him further away and sit him down and start with the treats again.
4. If he still goes mad move him further away but don't completely remove him as you want him to associate other dogs with good things.
5. Do not be embarrassed by his behaviour.
6. Remain very very calm.
7. Keep the lead loose when he is sat down.
8. Try and do it daily.

Sorry I can't offer any magical cure....but the above is working for me slowly
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28-01-13, 02:41 PM
Golden Oldie

I'm just on my way out, but see my recent post about Angus and the postie. It might not help you with Ralphie, but at least you'll see we're all in need of help from time to time, hopefully that will be some comfort

Paula xx

PitaPata Dog tickers
Old 28-01-13, 02:44 PM

Ripley is much the same, but without the Barking.

Without other dogs around, Ripley is a perfectly behaved dog, and at only 5 months old she would be perfectly off lead trained, she comes when called every time and will walk to heel.

As soon as she see's another dog a switch in her head flips and she'll do anything and everything to get to them to play, nothing, I repeat absolutely nothing works to try and get her to listen to me other than sheer brute force.

We've tried moving away, high value treats, praise and the kitchen sink.

I suppose its a good thing that all she wants to do is play, but its very frustrating that she will simply not listen too us no matter what we say or do when there are other dogs around.

As a result when we take her out she has to go on the Halti which I know not everyone is a fan of, and she hates it with a passion, but she is just so strong it would be impossible to have an enjoyable walk without one.
Old 28-01-13, 02:53 PM
Golden Oldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post
Ripley is much the same, but without the Barking.

Without other dogs around, Ripley is a perfectly behaved dog, and at only 5 months old she would be perfectly off lead trained, she comes when called every time and will walk to heel.

As soon as she see's another dog a switch in her head flips and she'll do anything and everything to get to them to play, nothing, I repeat absolutely nothing works to try and get her to listen to me other than sheer brute force.

We've tried moving away, high value treats, praise and the kitchen sink.

I suppose its a good thing that all she wants to do is play, but its very frustrating that she will simply not listen too us no matter what we say or do when there are other dogs around.

As a result when we take her out she has to go on the Halti which I know not everyone is a fan of, and she hates it with a passion, but she is just so strong it would be impossible to have an enjoyable walk without one.
It's difficult...you need to find that special something that makes you more interesting than the other dogs....that's often the challenge
Old 28-01-13, 03:09 PM

I suspect that only time and age are going to help us on this one
Old 28-01-13, 03:10 PM

I think dog training classes are invaluable. This is a place where Rogue gets to meet loads of dogs. Some nice, some not. This teaches her life skills about body language as not all dogs are nice outside too.
She learns that when class is on, I expect obedience and she is no longer allowed to play. This helps by making her pay attention to me when other dogs are around.
The Excellent 'Leave' command when passing other dogs or they are passing us! Works in a variety of situations outside. Also, teaches Rogue when she can and can't 'meet' other dogs.

Rogue gets Loads of play-time with other dogs too. I think they need this. And Rogue lives with other dogs too so she is well used to dogs enough to not bother barking or even having a play sometimes if Cody is rushing on during the walk!

If I were you, I would get to a training class. I've owned a dog aggressive dog before and it's not much fun. Your dog is still young enough that you could teach him to be more sociable or at least obedient enough not to bark or act aggressively.
Old 28-01-13, 09:36 PM

I do take him to a training class every week and will continue to do so forever most likely, I did say we attend classes in my original post
He is 6 months old and behaves beautifully in class it's just outside he's a monkey!
He is nicely behaved in all other ways except with other dogs!
Thanks for your advice I'm gonna give it a try!
Old 28-01-13, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphie'sMum View Post
I do take him to a training class every week and will continue to do so forever most likely, I did say we attend classes in my original post
He is 6 months old and behaves beautifully in class it's just outside he's a monkey!
He is nicely behaved in all other ways except with other dogs!
Thanks for your advice I'm gonna give it a try!
I wouldn't push him, give him more room. Just now, when dogs are in the distance try and get his attention and treat him. Gradually and slowly reduce the distance. BAT training might help just now.

He'll settle, it will take time.

Assume he's entire, could be testosterone starting to kick in.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

Gone but not forgotten - Tomas (Collie X), Heidi (Collie X Lab), Jason (Dobe), Shelley (Heinz 57!).