My German Shepherd Forum

Go Back   My German Shepherd Forum > The Dog House > General Doggy Forum
Home Register FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Doggy Forum This the place to chat about your dog. Share stories about your dog or dogs, or just post anything dog related.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-13, 08:31 AM
Golden Oldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
I have done this with one, as well as around my knuckles (with the presumption that bone would hurt more than flesh), and have yanked it, and it didn't hurt! And that's when I'm in a relaxed mode, so no adrenalin pumping.

So if you think it doesn't hurt, why would you want to use one,

I did this and it hurt a lot,

No need for them, IMO I would sooner keep working with my dog, if he or she pulled, I would just go back to basics,
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-06-13, 08:38 AM
Golden Oldie

NB You can try every type of collar and lead, but if the dog is still pulling you need to question why. Dogs will pull even on the pinch collar if your leadership is in question, if your walk is too slow, if he is in high defense or prey or if you originally taught him to pull by pitching your weight against him and heaving him back, so sort that out rather than just relying on the tools.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-06-13, 09:10 AM

Prong collars are considered cruel and are illegal in New Zealand.

Our first dog trainer advised us to use a check chain on Archie. We'd never had a dog before. We had no idea what we were doing. We went along with what she taught us. Incidentally, she did teach us the correct method of using a check chain, how to put it on correctly so it isn't upside down, a short sharp correction, never let the dog pull constantly and just choke itself. Archie knows about check chains. He knows when he's wearing a check chain or even a nylon slip collar, and he will walk beautifully when he has one on. He also knows when he is not wearing a check chain, and will put his head down and pull like a tank when he thinks he can get away with it.

PitaPata Dog tickers

Sarah, Archie and Kobi
Old 06-06-13, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immie1968 View Post
You say the collar did nothing, did, he get the bird, did you managed to hold on to him, if so then it did work, try putting the pinch, collar around the top of your arm and see how it feels,

They should be banned, and should never have been allowed in the first place
Yeah I have put one around my arm. If you use it properly, i.e. a 'check' on it by just flicking your wrist like you would with a yo-yo it feels like me just poking you hard and fast with many fingers. That's it. If you pull on it constantly: it hurts.

Quote:
You and I will never agree on this Paige Which is fine, we don't have too, the world will still turn. Took me months to get Angus to walk to heel consistently, still sometimes on the morning walk have to stop/start a couple of times. But he's a peach, I don't demand that he is perfect, he's a family pet, will never be doing IPO or showing, so to me it doesn't matter.
I'm happy I took the long way with it though, and I think a five month old should never have seen a pinch collar, but like I said, you and I just don't agree on this issue. I also let Angus wash my face for me, I'm sure lots of people don't agree with that Won't change my mind
No I don't think we ever will! But you're right, life will go on. However, Cronus does like a little taste of my face now and again!

Quote:
NB You can try every type of collar and lead, but if the dog is still pulling you need to question why. Dogs will pull even on the pinch collar if your leadership is in question, if your walk is too slow, if he is in high defense or prey or if you originally taught him to pull by pitching your weight against him and heaving him back, so sort that out rather than just relying on the tools.
Cronus doesn't doubt my leadership. Of that I have no doubt. For one, he is submissive to me when I greet him in the morning (he pees), but we're trying to get him out of this by being calmer with him. Plus if I tell him off for anything, I only have to say it once and then he comes up to me and rubs against me like a cat to apologise.

I always walk at a nice brisk pace as it gives me more exercise this way too. He is in no drive as I always make sure he is calm before leaving. And no I did not yank him back to teach him to walk nicely. I used the flat collar the same I would a pinch, by 'checking' him. It worked well as a puppy, but like I said, he just doesn't notice it anymore.

PitaPata Dog Tickers
Old 06-06-13, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immie1968 View Post
I think we need more pics of rusty to be honest, your letting the side down
Have just loaded pics from this morning in the pictures forum. Hope you like him, I LOVE him xxx

I love discussions in forums, they are like a pendulum, someone has a far right view, another has a far left - we can all make up our minds whereabouts in the middle our view are.

Thank you for everyone's posts.

Jen x
Old 06-06-13, 11:05 AM
Golden Oldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeJones View Post
I'm not against pinch collars. I am against banning them.
I am just so glad that the BAGSD have banned their use in their training classes. A step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.

"The best dog is the one you take home with you"
PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers
Old 06-06-13, 11:30 AM
Golden Oldie

Cronus doesn't doubt my leadership. Of that I have no doubt. For one, he is submissive to me when I greet him in the morning (he pees), but we're trying to get him out of this by being calmer with him. Plus if I tell him off for anything, I only have to say it once and then he comes up to me and rubs against me like a cat to apologise.

And you see this as a good thing, I see this as fear, sorry we won't agree on this point either
They have been banned for a good reason
Old 06-06-13, 11:52 AM

Me too I have to disagree I would never put a pinch collar on my 4.5 & 5 month old GSDs and they think they are freight trains out on a walk at the mo and a 20 minute walk can take an hour some days with simple 'Stop/Start' which just takes patience and costs nothing!

You have to remember that at 5 months old your puppy will not have acquired self control and is just about to go into adolescence so ruling him with dominance may mean you end up with an aggressive dog??? Your dog is already showing submissive urination when you greet him which in the wild they do because they fear the pack leader and are showing their submission by weeing

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to spike/hurt their pet in order to get them to obey a command - try using a bit more training at home in the garden on your lead work and maybe some more patience?

http://www.rileysgsdrescue.co.uk
PitaPata Dog tickers

PitaPata Dog tickers
Old 06-06-13, 11:56 AM

OHHHHH I can't put into print my hubbys views on this matter

http://www.rileysgsdrescue.co.uk
PitaPata Dog tickers

PitaPata Dog tickers
Old 06-06-13, 12:35 PM
Administrator

I would be appalled that any trainer would allow those collars in their classes, I'm afraid I am firmly in the 'it's barbaric camp' and to use them on a pup is just nasty I think.

My last training class would never have allowed these owners through the doors with their dogs were wearing those, like Lorraine's class they would have given the owners the assistance to teach their dogs to walk nicely without the need for them.

I think it's sad that these collars are still around they are up there with e-collars imo, they should be banned. I think it's easy to give up on techniques too quickly and say oh that didn't work as a justification for using such tools.

Always an emotive subject this, each to their own but it's not something I would want to put on my boys